Tripled Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Turkey and Bacon

I missed you all last week! Easter was a quiet and relaxing day for us. Indeed, it may have been the first holiday ever spent without extended family, friends, or children present. While I do prefer the excitement and bustle of holidays, I must admit this was a pleasant change. We ate a traditional turkey dinner with stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, and homemade cheddar cheese biscuits. Dessert was a rich chocolate pudding pie with cinnamon graham crust.


Since dinner was just the three of us, we ate turkey dinners all week long. Monday was a repeat of Easter, Tuesday was cold turkey sandwiches, Wednesday was this turkey casserole, and Thursday was Tripled Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Turkey and Bacon. What good is a Grilled Cheese Sammie without soup right? Of course, I prepared turkey broth and served turkey veggie soup. Now that the dinner table consists of just three, I like to make the broth plain and whip up the soup as needed.

Speaking of broth, did you know simmering broth uncovered would eliminate broth cloudiness? Cajun Chef Ryan shared that advice in this post about making turkey stock. Thanks Ryan, it worked like a charm!

FoodBuzz and Natures Pride sent me a loaf of Wheat bread with flax seeds. OMG I love those flax seeds thanks to Denise who first enticed me with this Flax Seed Bread. Now, I use them often in baking breads, as a substitution for nuts and all types of seeds. I told the guys upon the first bite of Hearty Wheat with Flax Bread, it would be awesome for making grilled cheese sandwiches. Oh boy was I ever right!

From Natures Pride – “Baked with pure olive oil, this wholesome and healthy bread is a good source of fiber and offers 22 grams of whole grain per slice. The addition of flax makes it a good source of Omega 3-ALA and, like all our breads, it is 100% natural and delicious.”

My intention was to post this for National Grilled Cheese month. Stop shaking your heads now. C’mon. All I can say is Easter was THAT relaxing. Besides, isn’t the first time I’ve been a day late and a dollar short now has it?


Triple Grilled Cheese Sandwich w/ Turkey and Bacon
Makes 4 sandwiches

8 slices Hearty Wheat with Flax Bread
Butter or margarine
Leftover Turkey meat sliced
12 strips hickory smoked bacon, cooked well
4 slices Munster cheese
4 slices pepper jack cheese
4 slice white American cheese

Grilled Triple Cheese, Turkey, and Bacon Sandwich Stack

Certainly everyone knows how to prepare a grilled cheese sandwich, however I feel obligated to share my method. Humor me just this once, OK?

Have all ingredients ready. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Melt about 2 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add 4 slices of unbuttered bread to the pan, swishing them to spread and absorb the melted butter. Layer the sandwiches. A slice of American cheese, then turkey, a slice of pepper jack cheese, then bacon, a slice of Munster cheese and top with a second slice of bread, buttered side up. Repeat for the remaining sandwiches. Press sandwiches, cover skillet, and cook on low until bread is golden. Press, flip, and cook.

Wish I had this panini press from LeCreuset, it would have been perfect!  Skillet or pressed, these were some fabulous grilled cheese sandwiches. The Natures Pride new dark bread was the perfect choice. Dense and hearty describes the overall sandwich. The pepper jack cheese added a nice zing to nearly every bite. The soft and gooey melted combination engulfed the bacon and turkey. The turkey soup made for magnificent dunking too, yum!



Thank you to Foodbuzz and Natures pride for providing me with a loaf of this awesome bread!

(I just heard Osama Bin Laden is dead. Moving to the TV now, this post has to wait AGAIN)



Comments

Popular Posts