Summer Lemon Ginger Peach Cake

Baking Laurie’s favorite Summer Blueberry Lemon Cookies advanced my summer desserts mania. I know summer is officially over September 21 however, to me it still feels like summer here in Florida. First of the summer dessert mania recipes was this Strawberry Bread Pudding. Then a few weeks ago I came upon Reeni's Lemon Ginger Peach Cake. Oh, yes this cake plucked my summer dessert chord. I instantly recalled how fabulous her Sugar Cinnamon Donut Muffin recipe turned out. That baking experience was a real confidence builder for me. With that, I knew I had to bake this cake!

Lemon Ginger Peach Cake
By Reeni

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
2 large eggs
Lemon zest from one lemon
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon dried ginger
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
A pinch of grated nutmeg
3 peaches, firm, ripe, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch spring form or cake pan.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

3. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and 3/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in lemon, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla, and nutmeg. At low speed beat in flour just until combined.

4. Spread batter evenly in pan and arrange peaches over top, they will sink as they bake. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon sugar evenly over top. Bake until cake is golden-brown and top is firm about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool 10 minutes, remove side of spring form pan, if using a cake pan it's best to slice it right in the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature with whip cream and/or vanilla ice cream.


I followed the directions exactly as written. Since I don't own a spring form pan (yet) I used a 9-inch cake pan as directed. I must say this cake was as delicious as she described it. It had the liking of a spice snack cake bordered by a crispy outer layer, and filled with fresh peaches. The cake was to some extent coarse in texture balanced by the moistness of fresh peaches and the perfect level of sweetness. Dad just loved it with a dollop of whipped cream.

Of course, my cake did not look nearly as pretty as the photos Reeni presented. Additionally, my peaches did not sink enough as you can see. Perhaps the peaches were not firm enough as they were extremely ripe. I will be baking this one again in hopes those peaches will sink a bit lower.


Thank you Reeni for sharing this yummy recipe!

Are you hungry?

Comments

Popular Posts