Summertime Strawberry Bread Pudding

Life has been just crazy lately, let me tell you. All of the old cliches mom used on me apply - when it rains it pours, burning the midnight oil, beating a dead horse, and crying over spilled milk... OMG too many things at once. I miss reading all of your fabulous foodie posts, being inspired, and well just having some foodie fun. Anyhow, I didn't stop cooking or baking or feeding the clan simply had no time to write about it.

Dad really likes strawberries however  he forgets that he bought them so I had to come up with some quick way to use them. I found this Strawberries and Cream Bread Pudding recipe at ALL Recipes. As always, used what I had on hand. This is the original recipe with my changes like this.


Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons butter, melted
* 7 (1 ounce) slices day-old bread, 5 6" whole wheat rolls, torn into small pieces
* 3/4 cup 2 cups chopped fresh strawberries
* 3 eggs
* 1 1/4 cups milk - I added 1/2 cup
* 3/4 cup light cream 1/2 cup evaporated milk
* 1/4 cup strawberry preserves - I used blackberry
* 3/4 cup white sugar, or to taste - reduced to 2/3 cup
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - doubled the vanilla
cinnamon to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter the bottom and sides of an 8 inch square 13 x 9 baking dish with the melted butter. Toss bread with the chopped strawberries, sprinkle with cinnamon, and place into the prepared pan. Beat the eggs, milk, cream, strawberry preserves, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl until frothy. Pour over the bread and lightly press down with a spatula until the bread has absorbed the milk mixture. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped. 

Cutting down on the sugar was the best idea. The fresh strawberries were not overly ripe and allowed the pudding a great sweet and tart contrast.  I prepared this late at night, it was close to midnight when done. Of course I tasted a spoonful or two or three but had to refrigerate the rest. Chilled, this was a refreshing change from traditional bread pudding and that sweet/tart strawberry flavor so reminded me of summer. My dad just loved it with a big dollop of whipped cream. I'll definitely be making this again!




Comments

Popular Posts