Spicy Whole Okra

Not sure why, but I have been on an okra kick for the last few weeks. Breaded and fried used to be my favorite way to serve okra. Since the inception of hubby’s diet, fried foods have been severely limited and that I know has been a healthy alteration for the entire family. I had a package of sliced okra and prepared this Okra and Corn Creole a while back. From then on, I was addicted and the freezer has been stocked with whole and sliced okra. This is my whole okra recipe using a combination of ingredients from various recipes. I prepared this recipe twice, once with the mushrooms and once without. In both cases, this recipe was very flavorful, nicely spiced, and quite satisfying!

Ingredients:

1 small sweet onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 16-ounce package frozen okra, thawed, or 1 pound fresh okra
1 can Rotel original
1 cup fresh mushrooms

Method:

Saute onion in hot oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Add mushrooms, mustard and cumin, stir, and cook for 3-4 minutes until mushrooms are just soft and the spices incorporated. Add okra and Rotel; cook uncovered about 15 minutes or until okra is cooked through.

Now I know scores of people say okra is one of those “slime factor” vegetables. In fact, I did experience a bit of slime with the Okra and Corn Creole however, this okra recipe had absolutely no slime factor whatsoever. I have no idea why this okra was not slimy. Perhaps you all will shed some light on the subject for me.


Comments

Popular Posts