Okra and Corn Creole with Crispy Ranch Chicken

I buy frozen vegetables in the bulk sizes, usually from BJs, which don't get used in one, or sometimes even two meals. About every other week I prepare a dish that finishes the open bags of vegetables. Okra was on the list this week, alongside chicken. Okra and corn creole sounded perfect paired with crispy chicken.
Oh and before I forget, BJs has a 2 lb box (2 lb bags) of Kikkoman Panko bread crumbs for $4.99. In the grocery stores here a regular box, which is 8oz., costs$ 2.79. Pretty good deal huh? Ok back to the meal.

I checked out Mary's recipe for Crispy Panko Coated Ranch Chicken but didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, so I compromised. Rather than using Good Seasons Ranch Dressing-Seasoning and mayo, I used bottled light buttermilk ranch dressing.

Buttermilk Ranch Oven fried Chicken

6 pieces chicken - I used 2 breast and 4 thighs
1/2 cup buttermilk ranch dressing
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon soul food seasoning

Preheat oven 375. Wash chicken and pat dry. In a large bowl, mix seasons with panko crumbs. Pour ranch dressing into a small bowl. Brush chicken pieces, one ata time with dressing and dredge in seasoned panko crumbs. Place on shallow edge baking sheet. Cook for about 50 minutes or until juices run clear.

Very crispy and flavorful. The combination of seasons added just the right flavor, hubby was even impressed!

Okra and Corn Creole
adapted from Cooking Light Cookbook 1994 buy it used here

The original made 12 servings, so quantities are half of the original except the hot sauce, you know I love spicy food!

Ingredients
Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped (I used red)
1/4 cup chopped onion( I used shallot)
1 1/4 cups fresh corn cut from the cob(I used frozen, thawed)
1/4 cup water
1 can no salt whole tomatoes, un-drained and chopped( I used diced tomatoes with green chili)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp sugar (I omitted)
1/8 tsp salt & pepper (I omitted salt)
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder (I added this)
1 cup sliced fresh okra (I used frozen, thawed)

Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium high heat until hot. Add green pepper and onion; saute 3 minutes or until tender.

Add corn and water to vegetables in skillet, stirring well. Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes; stir gently, and cook an additional 5 minutes. (I cooked 6 minutes total) Add tomato and next five ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add okra; cover and simmer 5 to 7 minutes or until okra is tender. 12 servings

Now this was darn good, nice and spicy yet not so much that it brought on a sweat! Turned out to be the perfect side dish for crispy ranch chicken.

Are you hungry?

Comments

Popular Posts