Kicked up Corn Meal Crackers

I have this Farm Journal's Homemade BreadsCornmeal Crackers cookbook that's well over ten years old. It's said to be a collection of more than 250 recipes from country cooks around the country. It has lots of wonderful traditional breads and rolls. I have posted a few bread recipes that I adapted for use my bread machine.

Here's a homemade corn meal cracker perfect for serving along side your favorite chili or nacho dish. I added some "soul food seasoning" to kick up the flavor just a bit.

You will need:
3/4 c. yellow corn meal
3/4 c, sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter or regular margarine, melted
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Seasoned salt


In a medium bowl, stir together the first five ingredients. Add milk, melted butter, and Worcestershire sauce to the cornmeal mixture; with a fork, stir until mixture forms a soft dough and leaves the sides of the bowl.

Divide dough in half. On heavily floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll out each half into a 12" square. Roll dough loosely around rolling pin and unroll onto greased large baking sheets.

Cut each square into 16(3") squares; then cut each smaller square diagonally in half to form triangles. Sprinkle with seasoned salt if you wish. I used soul food seasoning instead of the Seasoned salt on just half. This way I could taste the original recipe intention and compare the "kicked up" crackers.

Bake in a 350 oven 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets. Cool on racks. Store in airtight container up to 1 week. Makes about 5 dozen crackers.




The guys really enjoyed these and said the Soul Food Seasoning did kick them up a bit. They keep telling me they can no longer eat store bought crackers because of me! While the turnout was delicious, the end pieces didn't look so pretty. Oh well, I guess I can't have it all the first time around, right?


Comments

Angie said…
I have never made crackers before, this looks easy and tasty, and perfect for my cajun seasoning!
Miranda said…
Wow. My girls would love these mince the spicy seasoning. My husband would like the spicy crackers. Love the recipe.

Thanks for stopping by!
Velva said…
These cornmeal crackers look fabulous! What a great idea to serve along side of a good bowl of chili. You know it is a real compliment when someone tells you that they can never go back to the store version :-)
Great blog post.
SmartShopIt said…
Very nice and simple recipe. Adn they look healthier then the ones out of a box.

For a good price on yellow cornmeal go to www.SmartShopIt.com.
Reeni said…
I don't think these look bad at all! Quite the opposite. I've never made my own crackers. You are so right - these would be yummy with chili or even a bowl of soup.
FOODalogue said…
They look pretty good to me! Great idea to kick it up a notch.
Karine said…
They look good to me! I should try to make my own crackers. Thanks for sharing :)
Ish said…
I have to try this, thanks for sharing it
Catherine said…
This looks great Kathy! I am looking forward to making these!
Caitlin said…
Crackers fall into my mythical cooking category. I know someone makes them, I know that someone is not me, yet I always dream of making my own crackers someday...these look great!
Unknown said…
I'm going to try it. Thanks for the recipe.
Danielle said…
Mmm these look great! Cant wait to try them out!
Auntie E said…
Those sound really good. thanks for the recipe.
Just to tell you how much I like your blog. I am taking your badge wiith me.
Anonymous said…
If I substitute rice flour for the all purpose flour, I can make these for my celiac husband. Yeah.

Popular Posts