Three Days of Bread

Do you ever go through phases where you just have to cook and EAT something? I've been craving home made bread lately....

Bread Day 1 - Thursday night I decided to use up the Jiffy pizza crust mix I had in the cabinet. Yes I had it in the cabinet, don't ask long story. Anyway, this stuff in no way makes dough, but I had an idea. I made the mix per the directions and of course it was like batter rather than dough so I floured my hand and pulled the gooey mess away from the bowl. As I worked my way around the bowl, I continued to flour, this making a ball that was dough on the outside and gooey on the inside.


Focaccia BreadNext I oiled an 11 x 6 baking pan. I pressed the Jiffy dough stuff into the pan. Then I put a thin coat of pesto over the cough. On top I added very thin slivers of onion, a few chopped tomatoes, and finally some black olives. I popped it into the oven for 30 minutes on 350 and presto, I had a nice focaccia bread to serve with dinner.



Saturday, Bread Day 2, I broke out my bread machine. I just love that appliance. My mom bought it for me when bread makers were the latest craze. I decided on Onion Wheat Bread. I thought it would go nice with the mixed beans and smoke pork that I was preparing for dinner.

Ingredients -

2 cups warm water (100° to 110°F)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups (about) all-purpose unbleached flour
2 cup whole whole wheat flour
1 Tbs onion powder
4 tsp wheat gluten
1 envelope (2 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast or 2 tsp instant yeast

Add ingredients to bread pan in the order they are listed. I use all purpose flour instead of bread machine flour and include the 4 tsp of wheat gluten to substitute for the bread flour. I used the wheat setting on the machine and the bread itself came out perfect but lacked the onion flavor. All was not lost, it went great with the spicy beans and pork.

Personal Notes- I added only one teaspoon of onion powder which was not enough. I am sure the recipe will require 1 tbsp onion powder1/2 cup caramelized onion.

Sunday's best Pioneer Bread-Day 3 Today I decided on Pioneer Bread. This recipe is from my old Betty Crocker bread cookbook. It's a nice change from white bread, a bit sweeter, and had a nice crusty yet smooth outer crust.

Ingredients-

3/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1 egg, mixed but not beaten
1/3 cu cornmeal
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast or 1 envelope

Add ingredients to bread pan in the order listed. Bake on Basic Setting.

Hand Method- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Add sugar, slat, egg, cornmeal and 1 cup flour. Blend 1/2 minute with mixer, on low speed scraping sides. Increase speed to medium and beat for two more minutes. Stir in remaining flour or just enough to make the dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto floured surface and kned until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover and rise in a warm place until double, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Punch down dough. Flatten dough with rolling pin or hands into a rectangle. Fold crosswise into thirds overlapping two sides. Roll dough tightly toward you beginning at one of the open ends. Press openings with thumbs to seal after each turn. Press ends with side of your hand to seal. Place loaf seam side down in a greased loaf pan. (optional-brush with butter and sprinkle with cornmeal) Let rise until double. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Breadmachine with freshly baked bread.Image via Wikipedia


Personal Notes - Boy oh boy does that bread machine save me time! This bread is just wonderful. The cornmeal and sugar make it just a bit stiffer and sweeter than white bread without the density of a dark bread.

Comments

Mariuca said…
Hola, please drop by my blog to get the latest update on the First Commenter Club , thank you and have a great day!

Mariuca

Popular Posts