Un-Stuffed Golumpki - Cabbage Casserole

Golumpki, aka Polish Stuffed Cabbage, was a popular dinner when I was growing up. Polish comfort food at it's finest. Steaming and rolling cabbage leaves is very time consuming, so when I came across this cabbage casserole recipe I couldn't wait to try it.

Golumpki - Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole


I'll bet you're thinking, where is the rice? I thought that as well, and missed the rice on my 1st attempt at this un-stuffed version. The addition of a light cheese topping did slightly eliminated the sense of missing rice. On my second partaking, I added a small portion of leftover white rice to recipe, perfect!


Un-Stuffed Golumpki Casserole Recipe


INGREDIENTS


1 lb. ground beef
1 small head cabbage, chopped into 2 inch pieces
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
3/4 cup cooked white rice (mine was leftover and cold)
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. parsley flakes
Salt and pepper to taste.
¼ c. mozzarella cheese, shredded



INSTRUCTIONS


 In a large skillet cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink. Drain the grease and return to pan.
Add in the garlic and onions. Cook until onion and garlic are softened and the beef is browning, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and seasonings.
Add the cabbage and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 30 minutes more
Add the leftover rice and stir.
Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top and cook until the cheese has melted.

Adapted from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks

The original recipe called for thyme, which didn't work for me personally. Parsley and a bit of Italian seasoning was closer to the flavors I remembered. The addition of leftover rice provided the nostalgic 'comfort food' flavor hubby and I so enjoyed. While this is not your traditional Golumpki, it is a fast, one pot dinner packed with flavor I'm sure your family will enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts