Meatballs n Sausage with Primavera Sauce

This is another one of those no starch meals made specially for "the carnivore". If you read my Crispy Chicken post then you know how it is around my house. I had originally planned to prepare a pasta dish with meatballs and sausage. Upon announcing the dinner menu, I got the WHAT PASTA?? response. See my DH had quit eating high carb foods like pasta, bread, and potatoes to name a few. Oh jeez, I can't do him like that but I want meat balls! Ok, here's the compromise, Meatballs and Sausage Primavera, no pasta, and Devils Food Sour Cream loaf for dessert(which hubby doesn't eat anyway). That got a yes and an I'm sorry from the carnivore, and a big grin from my son Red!


Inspired by the seafood pasta primavera from Christmas Eve dinner, this is what it did:

Meatballs n Sausage with Primavera Sauce

Brown 1.5 pounds sausage over medium-low heat, turning frequently. I used sweet Italian Mozzarella and parsley sausage and cut the links to about 3 inches. I was surprised how lean it was. While they were browning I mixed the meatballs.

Meatballs

1 lb ground chuck
1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup grated cheese Parmesan and/or Romano (I like Romano best)
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
1 tbsp dried parsley
salt & fresh ground pepper

I use my hands to mix and like to roll meatballs just a bit bigger than a golf ball. When the sausage was browned and almost cooked through, I remove the sausage and added the meatballs. Brown the meatballs on medium low, turning only when the side is browned otherwise they will break apart. When the meatballs are browned on all sides, lower heat and continue to cook until the meatballs have lost the red color. Remove and reserve with the sausage.

Drain any excess fat, leaving all the brown bits from the meat. Reduce the heat to lowest setting and add 1 can diced Italian tomatoes and 1/2 cup red cooking wine. I used burgundy. Stir and scrape to mix those flavorful meat bits with the tomato wine liquid, kind of like making gravy. Next add 3-4 cloves of garlic and cook until garlic begins to soften. Add the meat back to the pan, cover and cook until both meats are done. This took about 30 minutes or so and allowed the sauce flavor to be incorporated into the meat balls. Meanwhile, I gathered and cut the vegetables.

1 cup frozen okra
1 cup frozen Italian cut green beans
1 cup diced petite tomatoes (half can)
3 sweet banana peppers (aka Italian sweet peppers) sliced
1 large onion sliced rather thick
1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
1 small can of mushrooms, drained

When the meat is done move to the side of the pan, add the frozen vegetables and the tomatoes, and turn up the heat to get them simmering.Cover and cook, stirring a few times, until veges are no longer frozen but not done. Add the remaining vegetables, stir to combine, cover and cook until the fresh vegetables are cooked but not too soft. Mix the vegetables with the meatballs and sausage. Serve in bowls topped with grated Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes. Sorry I don't have a plated photo, it was self serve night with dinner in front of the TV.

I really enjoyed this even without the pasta. Hubby did too, which made me really happy, and Red had seconds so I know he liked it! Nothing better than a compromise well done. Oh and as for the diet success, hubby has lost enough now to go down one pants size!


There's about a million recipes for sour cream pound cake loaf on the net. After reading about ten of them and looking in the pantry I came up with this:

Devils Food Sour Cream Loaf

1 devils food cake mix
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs

powdered sugar for dusting

Combine cake mix, oil, yogurt, and sour cream. Mix until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Pour into two 9" greased loaf pans and bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool and dust with powdered sugar.


Red liked this better than I did. For the ease of the recipe, it was wonderful, and to it's credit not too sweet. Since devils food cake is light, the texture was as such; very moist yet quite airy. The edges were crisp like an old fashioned pound cake, however I like a more dense cake when thinking pound cake. A moist mix would have been perfect. Oh well, maybe I'll graduate and make the next one from scratch!





Are you hungry?



Comments

Wait! He doesn't want to eat starches but he'll eat cake?? Doesn't he know that cake mix (flour) is a starch?? :) Men.

Seriously though cutting back on carbs for a bit is a good way to get rid of excess water weight from carb indulgence over the holidays, and works fast, especially with men. That meal looks perfect for a meat loving man!
Kim said…
Meatballs look really good. I've been trying (although not hard enough) to diet using the whole low carb method. I failed this weekend but tomorrow starts a brand new week. I can already see this on my menu. Thanks for sharing this.

Great blog. I like the layout. :)
Melissa said…
We had meatballs today, too, but with pasta. My DH and DS would LOVE this all-meat version, I'm sure! :)
Eralda LT said…
Mmmmm...what a yummy meal! Perfect for a winter's night.
NĂºria said…
Mmm this is the kind of food I want on my table when is cold like it is now! Delicious :D
FOODalogue said…
I like the addition of the vegetables but I'd still want my pasta too. I've come to terms with the fact that I can't live without it so I just lessen the quantity.
Catherine said…
Kathy this looks fantastic! I wish I could eat it now!
AngelBaby said…
Looks yummy. I'll bet he loved this for dinner. I want the desert. LOL! I am going to try that recipe for the desert, yummy

Have a wonderful day!

Love and Blessings,
AngelBaby
Pam said…
That is one nice and yummy dinner! Could enjoy it with the rest of that wine....lol! So cute!

Enjoy!
Cajun Chef Ryan said…
The sausage and peppers in the dish are a great combo. The image of the dish make me want to take a fork the monitor....[stomach growling]

Regards,
CCR
=:~)
Mrs Sweetwater said…
ooooooooo,, looks delicious. think i'll try your cake recipe tonite. see you soon, as you've made me hungry. ;)
That is the perfect winter meal.
Lo said…
What an interesting take on the primavera concept! I must confess, I'd still miss the noodles -- but the meatballs look delish. :)
Anonymous said…
WAIT - STOP - HOLD ON A MINUTE!
Meatballs AND SAUSAGE!?!?!?
You're KILLING me here sitting on my fat a** trying to stick to my New Year's Resolutions.
Sounds absoulutely FAN TABULOUS! - Mary
The carnivore side can appears very often on me. Love this meatball recipe and the primavera sauce is outstanding.
I can eat like this, everyday, really!!

Cheers,

Gera
Unknown said…
OMG! I'm getting hungry just looking at your photos and reading your blog. :)

Here to also bring you good new! You won the $10 coupon from Nature's Peak Frozen Fruit at HipMamasPlace.com

Send me your name and mailing address for your priize at: hipmamasplaceatgmaildotcom
Congrats!!! :)
Reeni said…
This looks so hearty and delicious. What a great idea to use veggies instead of pasta. The sour cream loaf sounds scrumptious too!
I think I will eat the cake first! make that looks awesome! the sausage and meatballs hmmmm hmmm!

Popular Posts