Chorizo and Black Bean Chili - Spicy Fall Comfort

The AC is cranking and I'm feeling like it's fall, well inside the house at least. I can't believe I'm still in a festive fall mood after having only two cool, crisp fall days. Anyhow, Red wanted to try out his new 50D so I thought I'd prepare something he would enjoy, while catering to my mood. It was Saturday morning. I was doing my normal blog reading, paying special attention to recipes with black beans or chili, and other spicy fall foods. What better spicy, fall comfort food is there than chili? None that I can think of, besides maybe a pumpkin dessert. With that, I came up with this -




Chorizo and Black Bean Chili

3/4 pound chorizo
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 10 ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 7 oz can salsa verde
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste

* garnishes: sour cream, shredded Colby-Jack, sliced green onions




In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium high heat cook chorizo and ground beef, stirring to crumble. At this point, drain the meat if there is m ore than a small amount covering the top. Add onion and garlic, stir and cook until just soft. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.

Thanks for the photo Red


Are you hungry?

Comments

Vodka Logic said…
That looks delicious. Someday I may develope the desire to cook...lol
Melissa said…
Sounds like the perfect meal for a fall day! We like chorizo, but I've never tried using it in chili.
I'm making chili this week but never thought of using black beans. It looks good. I'll have to give it a try.
Reeni said…
This is an excellent chili! Spicy and chock full of hearty goodness. Your so funny - I hope it cools off for you!
Reeni said…
This is an excellent chili! Spicy and chock full of hearty goodness. Your so funny - I hope it cools off for you!
I love that there are so many spicies! The combination of them all must be o wonderful!
I love that there are so much spices there! The combination of them must be amazing!
SmartShopIt said…
While recently in Costa Rica, we discovered a new favorite dish using black beans. Sopa de Negro is a delicious soup using these inexpensive beans. Thanks for adding to our repertoire of black bean recipes with this one!

Find a Smart Buy price, nutritional information and coupons at SmartShopIt.com for Bush's Black Beans.
Miranda said…
Oh. I. Love. Chili!!!!!!
It is the greatest. I made Steak Chili twice in the last 2 weeks. MMMMH.
Great recipe, Red.
Sara said…
It is so cold in MN right now, so I will enjoy the chili, I can't wait!
Have a great day
Sara
Cookin' Canuck said…
Chorizo...need you say more? This sounds absolutely delicious!
Anonymous said…
Oooh, I love chorizo in anything, but especially soup because when it simmers there's even more favor. Yum.
Erica said…
I love chili! yours sounds delicious!Love all the flavors and the chorizo :)

Popular Posts