September Foodstuff - Orange and Oatmeal Breakfast Breads

It's funny, I always made sure that the kids ate breakfast every morning but never made sure I did, shame on me! What makes it even worse, I so enjoy breakfast breads. One would think I should follow my own rule and at least have a slice of bread with my morning coffee right? Last week I decided to try out some new breakfast bread recipes hoping that I would maybe start my day with a cup and a slice...


Country Oatmeal Bread
Taken from Betty Crocker's Breads ©1974 (a gift from mom) adapted for a bread machine

1 cup hot water
1/2 cup uncooked rolled oats or quick rolled oats
1/4 cup molasses
2 tsp salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
2 3/4 cups bread flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

Add hot water, stir in oats. Add remaining ingredients in the order given. Set machine to basic.

The bread turned out to be a wonderful texture and color. As for the oatmeal flavor, it was just a hint; not what I expected. Next time I will increase the oatmeal by at least 1/4 cup. Even though it didn't have the oatmeal flavor I expected, all was not lost. Turns out this bread is awesome for making french toast. I sliced it rather thick, more than 1/2", and allowed it to soak in the egg mixture for a minute or so. Makes great french toast sticks too.




This week I made cinnamon orange bread. After doing some searching online and conferring with my bread machine recipe book and two other bread books, I came up with my own recipe. Red named this one...


Cinnamon Sunshine Bread

* 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice( 5-6 medium oranges)
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 4 tablespoons honey
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 egg, beaten well
* zest 1 medium size orange
* 4 cups bread flour
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 2 teaspoons active dry yeast


Add ingredients to bread pan in the order given for your bread machine. I selected the rapid bread setting and set the crust to light. What a savory bread; slightly sweet, perfectly moist, with a rich orange flavor. I warmed and buttered a few slices for Red and I this afternoon. It was at that moment Red came up with the name!


September Foodstuff → BREAD

Comments

Love the name!
And I love all the orange jucie in the bread.
Danielle said…
Mmmm this sounds great! It works well for both sweet and savory fillings!
Unknown said…
Hello again. I think you have a lovely site. I subscribed to you in my Google reader. I hope you can visit my site soon and return the favor.
Reeni said…
These both sound delicious! I love oatmeal in bread it has such a nice flavor. I bet the sunshine bread would make a wonderful french toast!
Cute name, and looks very delicious too!
Hmmmm...it looks savory and delicious!! Hehehe...cute name, indeed. I'll try to experiment on this recipe. Unfortunately my children are all adults now. I guess I have to add more ingredients to blend with their more sophisticated taste buds.
The oatmeal bread looks delicious and easy. I am going to have to do the non bread machine version though.
Talita said…
Love the name "Sunshine Bread". Looks very soft and yummy!
Barbara said…
Don't you love the old cookbooks? Some of the best recipes are found there. I don't make bread nearly enough. The oatmeal bread sounds wonderful!
Jessica said…
Um, yes, after reading, I AM hungry!! Cool blog!
Eralda LT said…
I have spent a while browsing through your site and I love it! Great recipes.

I love the name of this bread and it sounds absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing.

Popular Posts