Christmas Eve, Seven Fishes, and the Waverly Collection

Hefty has been part of our family Christmas Eve Feast since I took the reins back in the early 90s. Ok my foodie friends I know what you must be thinking, disposable dishes with seafood, pasta, sauce, Christmas Eve... Is she serious?

For years, I have hosted this dinner to accommodate two shifts, serving half the food around five and the balance later in the evening. I try to make our tradition stress free, giving an alternative time for those who work on Christmas Eve, have Christmas church services, or children with early bed times. The double shift is most appreciated. The disposable dinnerware provides for "no dish washing help" from relatives and is therefore widely accepted. Now if Grandma were still with us I don't think this modernization would fly.

This year thanks to Hefty, my table will be adorned with the beautiful Waverly Collection disposable dinnerware. You all know how excitable I am and you can imagine my reaction when I read the email outlining the review opportunity. Once again, hubby was grinning and shaking his head as I read him the email. You know, I think even Grandma would be OK with this collection, disposable or not.

The Waverly Collection features drinking glasses, napkins, and plates. The patterns are beautiful. The 10 1/4” octagonal dinner plates are durable, coated to resist bleeding of sauce, and sized to hold more than an average paper plate. The 8” plates are of the same fine quality and shape but patterned in red and green stripes. They are the perfect size for a luncheon or Baccala Salad. Both have matching dinner and luncheon style napkins with coinciding patterns. The glasses, well friends those are quite festive. Available in two sizes, they are not only very stylish but sturdy as well.

Would you like a chance to try this festive disposable dinnerware? Hefty has provided me with two coupons to give away to one lucky reader. Each coupon is valid for (1) FREE package of Waverly Collection cups, plates, or napkins (up to $3.29 value). The coupons are valid through October 2011.  Keeping with the stress free theme, just leave a comment telling which of the Waverly Collection would be beneficial to your holiday celebration. One winner will be chosen via random.org on Friday December 10.

Additionally, a money-saving coupon is available for print now. Visit Waverly’s Facebook page and click the coupon tab to print a Buy 2 - Get 1 Free coupon, I did. You know we will definitely need more dinner plates, napkins, and cups for our seven fishes feast!


While I am on the Christmas Eve Feast topic, I would like to share the seven fishes portion of the menu. Breads and desserts have yet to be determined. 

  • Linguine with clams (Linguine con le Vongole) This sauce has been handed down for many generations and includes fresh clams, onions, garlic, parsley and olive oil. 
  • Fettuccine Alfredo with baby shrimp. This dish is my personal contribution to the tradition. Even the non-seafood consumers like this dish!
  • Baccala Salad, which is served cold containing a medley of vegetables, olives, and salted Cod fish (baccala) dressed with a traditional Italian vinaigrette.
  • Calamari in spicy Marinara Sauce, my mother's original recipe. I am considering serving this with some sort of polenta squares this year.
  • Seafood Primavera is Claudia’s recipe from What's Cookin' Italian Style Cuisine. This year it will be served with a combination of scungilli (conch), scallops, and crabmeat over Ronzoni Garden Delight Penne Rigate. My thought was how beautiful the colors will be.
  • Angel Hair Pasta with Joan Nova’s Caper Pesto (Pesti di Caperi). Oh my gosh, upon visiting this post on FOODalogue I knew instantly this would be part of my Christmas Eve Feast! 
  • Baked Ziti - A traditional baked pasta and triple cheese dish for my non-seafood eating family and friends J

Hope everyone enjoyed the review and the menu. Thank you to Hefty for providing me with the Waverly collection to sample and review. The Waverly Collection will undeniably enhance our family Christmas celebration.


Comments

Popular Posts