Pumpkin Cake Roll - Recipe Review

A culinary school is looking for food bloggers to write about their recipes, what is sweetsfoods up to now??? In additional to providing a plethora of blogging tips and awesome recipes from his popular Best of the Week posts and sharing this great culinary school opportunity from B.I.C., Gera is a great blog friend. Thanks Gera, it was very cool of you to share the opportunity and great fun participating.

Of course, I chose to bake. I mean after all it was my 2010 resolution to bake more, remember. I must admit to being a bit nervous because this would be my first attempt at a rolled cake. In fact, the only rolled cakes I ever experienced where store bought. You can imagine my expectations - a very sweet and moist to almost wet cake. Boy was I ever fooled! The cake itself was a cross between a cake and a pancake. Light and airy like a cake with the feel of a pancake. It was sweetened but not too sweet. Even though only 3/4 cup pumpkin was used, the pumpkin flavor was full bodied with a pleasant hint of cinnamon. After preparing the filling, I thought it might not be enough, wrong again. It was the perfect amount of filling and I even had enough to “stick the branch” on the top. The cream cheese added richness to the OMG level. Red just raved about it with every piece and my dad, well he ate two pieces each sitting followed by "ooohhh that's delicious". Needless to say, the log was gone pretty darn fast. I will definitely be making this one again.


While not perfect, can you tell I am a bit proud of this one?

The only criticism I have is the recipe needed more specific instruction points. For example, it did not specify how thin the batter should be spread. I would have appreciated that information, being my first attempt at a rolled cake. In addition, it is important to spread the batter evenly. The thicker portions crack when rolling. This is another tip I would have included in the instructions.


Pumpkin Cake Roll
Baltimore International College
 - My notes are in italics


Cake Ingredients:
3 eggs - large
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Chopped walnuts - I used just under 1/3 cup

Icing Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup 10X sugar
6 ounces cream cheese - I used low fat Philadelphia Brand

Directions:
1.) Mix eggs -beat eggs first - flour, baking soda, pumpkin, sugar, and cinnamon together.

2.) Spread on a half sheet pan or large jellyroll pan (approx. 13"x18") lined with parchment paper. I used a 13” x 18” jellyroll pan.


3.) Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts.

4.) Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes or less (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean). I baked for exactly 13 minutes. Removed the cake still on the parchment paper to cool on the counter


5.) Separately, mix the butter, vanilla extract, 10X sugar and cream cheese for the icing.

6.) Turn cake over and remove paper. Spread on bottom side of cake. Trim edges.

7.) Roll cake from one long end to the other.

8.) Cut off end piece (on an angle looks nice) and attach with icing to resemble a log with branches cut off.

9.) Sprinkle with additional 10X sugar or ice with your choice of frosting. Garnish as desired.

Thanks again to Gera and the Baltimore International College, a culinary arts college for providing this opportunity!

Are you hungry?


Comments

Popular Posts