Florida style Texas Two Step Chicken Picante

Evidently, Texas Two Step Chicken Picante is nothing new. Pace calls theirs Picante Skillet Chicken while others called it Texas Two Step Chicken and I even found one commenter who named it Cowboy Chicken. Not being familiar with this chicken recipe, I was excited to try it especially when I realized it was after five and dinner would be late yet again!

You all know how much I enjoy being a featured publisher; Foodbuzz and Pace really bailed me out this particular evening. The original recipe came from food.com. Everything (like this) is a Redkathy alteration, using what was on hand. (After seeing my changes in writing, I thought holy cow should I rename this recipe)

Texas Two Step Chicken Picante
http://www.food.com/recipe/texas-two-step-chicken-picante-4546

1 1/2 cups Pace Picante Sauce - mild, medium or hot (2 1/2 cups medium)
3 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed (2 Tbsp)
1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard (1.5 Tbsp yellow mustard)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (12 skinless thighs)
3 cups cooked rice, hot

Prep Time: 5 mins
Total Time: 25 mins

Directions:
1 Mix sauce, sugar, and mustard.
2 Place chicken in 2 quart shallow baking dish. (Rub chicken with about 1 teaspoon ground cumin)
3 Pour picante sauce mixture over chicken.
4 Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until chicken is done. (mine took 35 minutes)
5 Serve with rice.


Knowing how the guys are not fond of sweet meats I reduced the brown sugar. The flavor was bold and spicy, with plenty of sauce to spoon on top. I served it with spicy black beans and white rice. Red said he liked the sweet-hot thing going on. I was surprised he noticed the sweetness as it was rather faint. Hubby thought this recipe was definitely “a keeper.”

I have to tell you what made this recipe even better; dinner was only five minutes late, whoo hoo!

Thank you Pace and Foodbuzz for supplying me with two jars of Pace Picante Sauce. It is always fun and an honor to be part of the Tastemaker program!


Comments

Popular Posts