Tropical Banana Muffins

Cat Can Cook - Have you ever been to this website? Own the cook book? Doing the Google search thing, because I had several very ripe bananas to use immediately, brought me to the site. I went to Breakfast Television Toronto to watch the video of Catherine Robinson preparing her famous banana muffins live. The segment," Muffins: 5 ways in 5 minutes" was quick and impressive; I was sold. After viewing, I was off to the kitchen to prepare banana muffins. On the way it occurred to me, I have some fresh pineapple in the fridge and a can of coconut milk. Plan change-now I'm baking famous banana muffins with a tropical twist!

This is the original recipe including Catherine Robinson's notes:
Banana Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

3 or 4 Large bananas, mashed (the more bananas the moister, so I use 4)
1/2 cup white sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup, but I don’t like them too sweet)
1 slightly beaten egg
1/3 cup melted margarine or butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups flour

Mix the mashed banana, sugar, egg, and margarine together. Set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour. Mix wet and dry ingredients all together! Pour into greased muffin tins, and bake in 350 degrees F oven for approximately 20 minutes. Enjoy!
http://www.catcancook.com/awesome-banana-muffin-recipe/comment-page-13/#comments

My additions and alterations included adding:
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, crushed
1/2 cup raisins
substituted 5 oz coconut milk for butter

This batch made 18 muffins in total 6 large and 12 regular sized. I baked the dozen for 18 minutes and the larger muffins for 20 minutes, at 350°. After cooling for a bit, I ate the first muffin. They were good, and very moist, but not what I expected from a famous muffin recipe. The next morning however was a different story. The banana flavor was prominent, with just a hint of pineapple. The coconut milk did give a somewhat nutty flavor however not a true coconut taste. On the other hand, what the coconut milk did do was to classify these as the moistest muffins I have ever eaten! Sorry, no photos this time but I can tell you they were super moist, lightly golden, and extremely delicious. Catherine was right in saying this was a versatile, awesome recipe.

I think a sprinkling of coconut on top will be the ticket to a real tropical flavor. The question is, add the coconut before or after baking.

Are you hungry?

Comments

Popular Posts