Asian Infused String Bean Salad

My mother always bought fresh green beans or “string beans” as she called them, in the summer. One of her favorite summer salads was fresh green beans with sweet onions. She dressed those babies with garlic, evoo, a splash of wine vinegar, and a few sprigs of fresh mint. Boy, recalling that fresh and tasty salad, fond memories of mopping that salad bowl with Italian bread ensued… [smile]

I prepared one of those reminiscent string bean salads the other day except with an Asian twist. Serving grilled pork chops basted in a teriyaki-hoisin combo, it seemed the perfect side dish. Turns out, I was right. Much of my experimental approach is attributed to the food blogs I frequent. The dishes are always inspiring it imposed a new outlook on food. I see flavors in my head, how crazy is that? Now, what I did not do was sway from using what I had on hand, as usual. I did no real measuring, simply mixed and tasted!

1 lb fresh green beans
1/2 small red onion
Garlic powder
Sesame oil
Rice vinegar
Lemon juice
Sesame seeds
Lay Choy Chow Mein Noodles

Clean and snip the green beans. Steam the beans in the microwave for two or three minutes to soften but not fully cooked so the beans retain a soft crunch. Drain and allow cooling. Meanwhile, shred or dice about half of a small red onion. When the beans are cooled, add the onion. Add a few shakes of garlic powder and a dash of salt. Stir to blend and coat. Sprinkle lightly with lemon juice, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Cover and cool in the fridge for about thirty minutes. Sprinkle liberally with sesame seeds and Chinese noodles. Toss to blend and return to the fridge uncovered for at least fifteen minutes. This allows the noodles to incorporate the dressing flavor. They should soften just a bit adding to texture and crunch of the dish.

It was evident everyone really enjoyed the salad, even my dad who is not a salad or veggie eater. Now Red, he went crazy for this salad. He questioned me at length concerning the preparation. There was just a bit left over, maybe one serving, which he scarfed up the next day. I wasn't even going to post this photo but what the heck, it gives you an idea anyway ;)


Reminiscing has been widespread around our house lately. That is probably because Red, my biggest food fan, is leaving hubby and me again. This time he is off to London to finish his degree. I am happy for him and know it will be a wonderful addition to his credentials and future. As the departure time nears, that mom thing kicks in and I think... another country, no personal connections there, and quite different from last round where a visit was just across the state, OH MY!  I know this has nothing to do with green beans, just wanted to share my mom worries excitement with you all.

Are you hungry?

Comments

Popular Posts