Cheesy Spinach Casserole

My family always detested cooked spinach.  Cooked spinach always returned the common spinach objection, Eeeewwww it’s so slimy! I happen to think spinach is delicious both ways however serving dishes the family won't eat, while few, is not something I partake in. So my spinach eating days have been few the last 30 years.  Then I came upon this savory spinach stuffing recipe and just had to try it. Everyone really enjoyed the spinach stuffing. From that result, I learned two things; never tell them in advance your serving cooked spinach, and two, ingredients that counter “slimy” are required. With this new found knowledge, I ventured another cooked spinach recipe. I adapted this recipe a bit, my notes are like this.


Cheesy Spinach Casserole

Ingredients

1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
1 tablespoon chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt – reduced to 1/4 tsp
1 cup soft bread crumbs - 1/2 Panko crumbs, 1/2 Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan/Romano cheese - my addition to the original recipe
4 1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine, melted

In a large bowl, combine the spinach, eggs, milk, cheese cubes, onion, and salt. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs, grated cheese, and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Print the original recipe here

The hubby and Red really enjoyed this. Some things to note, I patted the spinach with paper towels to dry it as much as possible and beat the eggs and milk together before combining with the spinach. I believe this combination solved the slimy texture problem. Using a combination of bread crumbs combined with the strong flavor of the grated cheese contrasted the spinach mixture nicely.

Very nice side dish and another cooked spinach hit!I'm so pleased with this spinach recipe I submitted to May's Side Dish Showdown!


Are you hungry?

Comments

Popular Posts