Ripe Plantain Bread, you have been tagged!

Well I have just been Photo tagged! Not a Facebook photo tag, a blog photo tag - same concept. Seems my pal Sara over at The Breathing Post thinks I always post yummy pics thus the tag, thanks Sara you are too kind.

To accept the tag, the rules of the game are similar to those award rules:
  1.  Go to your photo files, select the 8th photo folder.
  2. Select the 8th photo in that folder.
  3. Post that photo along with the story behind it
  4. Challenge 8 blogging friends to do the same
Of course I went to my food pics folder. The eighth folder there was my ripe plantain bread photos, woo hooo! this bread recipe is quite different (and delicious) and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
The Plantain Bread Story - I had three or four plantains that were excessively ripe therefore, preparing Platanos Fritos (fried plantains) was out of the question. Most of you know how I just refuse to toss out food and as a result, I went directly to Google for an answer.


Here is the original recipe post with my modifications (like this).
Pan de plátano
(Ripe plantain bread)
Serves: six adults
Preparation time: one hour
Ingredients:
1 cup mashed ripe plantain (I used 2 black and very soft)
1/2 bar margarine (1/2 cup coconut milk)
1 1/4 cups flour
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking power

Procedure:
Beat margarine until soft; add sugar, eggs, and sour cream (mix coconut milk, sugar, eggs, and sour cream until thoroughly combine)
Blend plantains, flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Add them to the previous mixture. Add the vanilla and beat thoroughly.

Pour the mixture into a greased and flower pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. Check with a wooden toothpick. When it comes out dry, the bread is done.
Enjoy!

http://www.dollarman.com/puertorico/pandeplatano.html


Red fell asleep on the couch before the bread was ready. He woke, ate a slice, and had this face after finishing the last bite. "What’s up with the face Red?" "Ma, this is some wacky bread, tastes pretty good just has weird aftertaste. The next morning Red tried a second slice and alleged the flavor improved, although it would not be his choice of bread. I guess I should tell you Red dislikes Platanos Frito, a good reason for his comments.

As for my assessment, oh my gosh this bread was outstanding! The taste was quite different from traditional banana bread; however, the same robust characteristics of banana bread existed. The ripe plantain flavor was prominent to say the least.  I smothered another slice with cream cheese the following morning; an exciting flavor and grand breakfast bread idea!


That concludes my Plantain Bread story, hope you liked it.

Now for eight truly amazing foodie photo tags:

Southern Grace Gourmet by Angie
La Fuji Mama by Rachael
Food o' del Mundo by Mary and the gang
Foodalogue by Joan
Elras Baking by Elra
Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice by Reeni
Burp and slurp by Sophia
Whats Cookin' Italian Style Cuisine by Claudia


Are you hungry?

Comments

Popular Posts