Warm & Gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Adventure

Quick baking adventure. Ever have one of those moments where you just need a rich and sweet something, like an addict needing a fix moment? Those seem to happen to me at like 10:00 pm; never have a thought early in the day when I have time, it's always like OMG I have to have something now but it's past ten, what can I do quick and easy??? Well lovemyphilly bailed me out the other night! Here's my fix for after 10:00

Warm and Gooey Peanut Butter-Chocolate Cake
lovemyphilly.com
http://lovemyphilly.com/warm-gooey-peanut-butter-chocolate-cake/

Ingredients
1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Super Moist mix)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
4 eggs, divided
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar

Instruction-
HEAT oven to 350ºF
BEAT cake mix, butter and 2 eggs with mixer on low speed 30 sec., stopping frequently to scrape beater and side of bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 min. Spread onto bottom of 13×9-inch pan sprayed with cooking spray
BEAT remaining ingredients until well blended; pour over batter in pan
BAKE 30 min. or until edges are firm. Cool slightly.

Above are the exact directions, and I followed them to a tee. The taste was everything the post claimed it was. The cream cheese and peanut butter layer was a very rich and gooey yum yum. The bottom cake layer was chocolaty goodness, so on flavor I give it a 10. Ease of recipe and fix satisfaction, another 10. The only thing I don't get is why the edges were so darn high. I mean it looked like a baby peanut butter wading pool without liquid! The center was sunken badly, as you can see. Red was laughing at me and shaking his head whilst I criticized the cake. "Ma maybe you should fill it with chocolate, that will cure your fix, and make it a real pool", he replied with a laugh, still shaking his head. Now I was on a quest!

I looked at the photo with the original post while I was sampling my first piece and thought aloud, maybe their warm and gooey peanut butter cake looked like a barren cake pool too. Maybe the photo display is a middle piece... So guess what I did next, cut enough of the cake to take a center piece. By now Red had eaten a few pieces and said it was awesome. I went on with my quest...  I plated a center piece right quick. With my point and shoot I took a few photos in the near dark kitchen at about 11:30 at night, so don't laugh too much, ok. While eating that middle piece, I looked again. Lovemyphilly definitely had a quality photo but it could be true, the cake looks the same from the middle cut!


So my baking expert friends, I was hoping that you all might shed some light on this for me. What do you think, did I screw it up or are all the gooey "cake mix cakes" like that? I mean if that's the way these type of cream cheese cakes are it's ok with me, I just want to get it right.

Comments

Popular Posts