Ground Beef Burrito Bake

Hubby says, What's for dinner, then spots the ground beef thawing. Again, what are making??? What can I say, it was 93% lean and priced right. In an effort to keep the household harmony flowing, I went to searching. Mind you I have to find a dish that's new and low carb too. A very tall task for me; pasta, rice, bread... I love casseroles and carbs!  I finally found this Layered Enchilada Bake on All Recipes that seemed to be a harmonious choice. Of course I put my own spin on it, using what I had on hand. I took exception to using the word Enchilada in my recipe title since I see an enchilada as a corn tortilla filled with spicy goodness, and a burrito with a flour tortilla. Anyway, back to the recipe.  The original recipe claimed one serving had 37.9 grams carbs. I used white beans instead of black beans, 10 grams less; Lite dressing about 5 grams less, and using Rotel rather than jar salsa decreased carbs and calories too. I delivered the news, hubby aka The Carnivore smiled and agreed!

Ground Beef Burrito Bake

Ingredients

* 1 pound lean ground beef
* 1/2 onion, chopped
* 1 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning (Latin all purpose seasoning)
* 1 cup chunky salsa
* 1 can Rotel (tomatoes w/ green chili)
* 1 (16 ounce) can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
* 1/4 cup Zesty Lite Italian Dressing
* 6 taco size flour tortillas
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1.5 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese


Directions

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Brown meat with onions in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain if necessary. Add the seasonings to beef and onion mixture. Stir in next 4 ingredients and continue to cook for a few minutes to allow thickening.



3. Place 3 tortillas in single layer on bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish. (I used a glass baking dish) Cover with layers of half each of the meat mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat layers; cover.
4. Bake 40 minutes or until casserole is heated through and cheese is melted, uncovering after 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

Turns out this just might be my favorite Mexican style casserole ever! The Carnivore really liked it and I had seconds myself. The sour cream added just the right amount of creamy texture to the dish.

While this is far from a "dieting meal" by most standards, it fits hubby's "Diet My Way" plan perfectly. You know, he's lost 36 pounds so far, yeah!!

Are you hungry?

Comments

Popular Posts