Chocolaty Cheesecake Squares

I promised myself I would bake more in 2010. Not quite ready for anything too fancy just yet, baking in baby steps. Publix had a buy one get one sale on Betty Crocker cake mixes a week or so ago. Of course I had coupons for those so, I bought four different mixes for less than the four bucks! Saturday I planned to try my hand at a cheese cake. My brother in law and niece were coming for Sunday Dinner. The menu was deep fried turkey, home made mac n cheese, garden salad, and steamed broccoli. I figured chocolate cheesecake would be a suitable dessert.

Needless to say, I was excited. I gathered all the ingredients, got out my baking tools and started the cheesecake. When it came time to add the cream cheese I had a big surprise. Oh my gosh, the cream cheese was green and fuzzy. What happened, it wasn't green yesterday??? I had the bottom layer pressed into the pan already. "Gotta go to Publix, the Philly has gone pharmaceutical, be right back guys" I yelled as I ran out the door. Twenty minutes later I'm back in the kitchen using my new hand mixer, thanks to my DH "the carnivore", moving on to step three. I got everything together and in the pan. OK it's time for the marbling... I'm not real good at that I guess 'cause the picture I saw online didn't look like my cheesecake. When mine came out of the oven, it was more like layers, not really marbled on the top.

The bottom was a just little crisper than I would have liked. Not sure if that's because it sat for a while due to the cream cheese delay or maybe I didn't measure the butter exact or what. Cut and served in squares, this cheesecake worked beautifully with this meal. As for the overall taste, I really liked it; Very creamy, modestly rich, and oh so chocolaty! Red, my son and food critic, thought it was really good, as did my brother in law. I'm going to try this one again, checking the cream cheese first next time!


Marble Cheesecake


1 package Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® devil's food cake mix (I used Triple Chocolate Fudge)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened (you know I used Philadelphia Brand)
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
3/4 cup whipping (heavy) cream

1. Heat oven to 350° (325° for dark or nonstick pans). Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2 inches, with shortening or spray with cooking spray.

2. Reserve 1 cup dry cake mix for filling. Beat remaining cake mix, the butter and 1 egg in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until dough forms. Press on bottom of pan.

3. Beat sugar, cream cheese and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in remaining 2 eggs, the sour cream and 1/4 cup of the whipping cream on low speed until smooth; reserve 1 cup cream cheese mixture. Pour remaining cream cheese mixture over crust.

4. Beat reserved 1 cup cake mix, reserved 1 cup cream cheese mixture and remaining 1/2 cup whipping cream in same bowl on low speed until smooth. Drop chocolate cream cheese mixture by spoonfuls over cream cheese mixture in pan. Cut chocolate mixture through plain mixture with knife in S-shaped curves in one continuous motion. Turn pan 1/4 turn, and repeat for marbled design. Tap bottom of pan sharply on counter to level cream cheese mixtures.

5. Bake 32 to 40 minutes or until sharp knife inserted 1 inch from side of pan comes out clean
(center will not be set). Cool 30 minutes on wire rack. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Run knife around side of pan to loosen cheesecake. Refrigerate at least 4 hours until chilled. Store covered in refrigerator.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Before heating oven, place small baking pan filled with 1 to 2 cups
water on oven rack below cheesecake to help prevent cheesecake from cracking. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.

You'll find the original recipe here - http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/marble-cheesecake/34b8884e-e695-4a16-8280-8bc626b0e5ba

Comments

Kathy,
I have to tell you these look like they came out of one of those gourmet shops, beautiful in color, perfect picture and lucious looking, you should open a bakery! awesome....I am so glad your on facebook would have never seen this one!Foodbuzz has not been too friendly to navigate anymore :( thanks for this delicious dessert :)
Drick said…
looks just fine to me - like the layered look, know it tasted fine too, if your critic liked it, be happy
Catherine said…
Wow Kathy, this sounds and looks incredible! I've bookmarked this and will definately try making this soon!
kathy gori said…
I looks great!! I'm afraid to show it to my husband, last time he saw Pegasuslegends black and white cookies..i was baking all saturday.
I know he'll want me to try this.
Meanwhile if you ever cook in clay check this out
http://www.thecolorsofindiancooking.com/2010/01/cook-beautiful-with-clay.html
Reeni said…
What a decadent little treat! The filling sounds really rich and scrumptious. They look pretty too!
Sam D. said…
I'm not much into sweets. But it looks good to me :)
Angie said…
I think it looks great, you can send it to me if you don't like it. LOL Have a great weekend!
What a fantastic cheesecake and chocolaty!! I'm sure that this wonderful treat has my name :)

Have a great weekend,

Gera
Nicole said…
can i come over to have a piece of this ? im dying for some chocolate :)
This would certainly satisfy my yearning for chocolate right now! I LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG LAYOUT! PLease stop by my blog when you have a moment to pick up your latest gift from me! Roz
Chocolte cake with sourcream is THE BEST and then you go and throw in cheesecake -WOW! ~Mary
Secrets said…
Looks delicious. I love how you give tips along with your recipes, such as having the oven hotter for non stick cookware and adding a bowl of water to the oven to stop the cheesecake cracking, for those living at high altitudes.
Cheers
Wanda
http://www.only-cookware.com
bonnie said…
wow, the pic looks delish!! great recipe thanks great for the kids.

sweetlife
Rachele Bennett said…
Oh Yum! I'm copying down that recipe now. I love chocolate and cheesecake. Combined? Heck Yeah. It's very pretty too.
Stephanie said…
I think of everything cheesecake is one of the things I miss eating most. Looks awesome!!!!
MaryMoh said…
Love it! I love the layered look and the ingredients, especially cheese...mmmm. For your info you can adjust setting to your comment box to allow for 'Name/URL' so that more people can leave comments. I'm MaryMoh from http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com
That photo wants me to come to your house, right now. It is fantastic.

Popular Posts