Fresh Cranberry Apple Bake

Amen to cooler weather and my continued festive fall mood! I bought some fresh cranberries yesterday morning, thinking I would try preparing fresh cranberries for Thanksgiving this year. Of course I intended to do a test run today... The cranberries never made it that far. I let myself get derailed, imagine that! It's that addiction; you know the one that started with the homemade applesauce. In searching for that perfect homemade cranberry sauce, I ended up preparing an apple cranberry bake. I knew it was going to be good because is came from a Taste of Home collection.

Here's the original post-

Even folks who claim not to like cranberries rave about this dish. I cherish the recipe from my mother, who inspired my love of cooking.
-- Debbie Daly, Florence, Kentucky

You Will Need-
1 cup sugar ( I used 3/4 cups)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 cups chopped unpeeled tart apples (I used 2 small red delicious and 2 small granny smith. I peeled mine)
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (I used fresh)
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (Sorry no pecans in the pantry, so I used raisins)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cold butter


What to Do-
1. In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in the apples and cranberries. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.

2. In another bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, pecans and flour; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

Serves 12

Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2005
http://www.rd.com/advice-and-know-how/apple-cranberry-bake-recipe/article19100.html





Ok, I have to say this apple cranberry crisp was superb. The apples were not at all tart, thus the idea to reduced the sugar. This allowed the cranberry to be the perfect contrast.  I couldn't wait to try it, the aroma was oh so overpowering! Red was working when it came out of the oven so you get the point and shoot display. My DH can't eat sweets and complained when he got a glimpse of it. His comment was, this would be great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, which I can't have either." Poor dear.

One more note, the recipe says it serves twelve. Nope, not true unless of course you plan on serving just one big spoonful, topped with that ice cream DH spoke of. Red and I ate the whole pan in just one day.

Oh, and my apples are almost gone. Don't have enough for applesauce, what ever will I do.

FYI - The whole year of  Taste of  Home is available for download for free. I downloaded the special collections and will l be posting them on my other blog in the coming days.


Comments

SmartShopIt said…
It looks like a yummy cranberry crisp or cobbler. A great dessert to have in the arsenal for all the coming holiday dinners!

Your readers can find Smart Buy prices, product comparisons, nutritional information and coupons for fresh cranberries at SmartShopIt.com.
Reeni said…
This is a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving! I bet it's just scrumptious with a scoop of ice cream on top. It wouldn't last long in my house either!
Jessie said…
yummm! just in time for thanksgiving too! it would be gobbled all up
Catherine said…
Kathy this recipe sounds delicious and the picture looks even more scrumptious!
Very pretty and look so healthy too, I would love to have some of this right now :) thank you
Velva said…
Amen to the cooler weather from here too! I am glad you got derailed as this cranberry apple bake look absolutely divine. Very nice.
What a good idea for an autumny dessert. Cranberries are one my favorite fruits. So tangy and delicious.
I love apples + cranberries, they make an incredible taste! And the colours are just amazing! :)
Angie said…
That looks so good! I love cranberries, and so does my hubby!
This looks really great. I can't wait to try it out.
Gladys Kock said…
Oh my, this apple cranberry crisp is right up my alley. Topping with some ice-cream to flare up the flavor would be a great idea.

Home Cooking Recipe

Popular Posts