Foodstuff - Quick Dill or Cheesy Biscuits


If your life has been anything like mine has been lately, then quick biscuits are for you. When in a pinch whip up a batch of Dill or Cheesy Garlic drop biscuits in a flash with ready made baking mix.

Quick Dill Biscuits

2 1/4 cups baking mix
2/3 cup milk
1 tsp dried dill

Combine baking mix and milk in a large mixing bowl. Mix until a soft dough forms. Drop a spoonful of dough onto a non greased baking sheet. Bake in preheated 450 oven for 8-10 minutes. If you have enough time, the dough can be rolled out and cut with a biscuit cutter. (Seems I never have enough time for that step) Makes about 10 biscuits.

Notes: I have added other dried seasonings to this mix. Garlic powder doesn’t work so well, it looses flavor even when the amount is increased. For a nice biscuit to serve with a bowl of chili con carne, substitute 1/2 cup corn meal for baking mix, and add 1tsp chili powder. When my fresh dill is ready to harvest you can bet I'll be using it rather than dried.

Quick Cheesy Garlic Biscuits

Prepare biscuits as above omitting dill and adding 1/2 cup cheddar or your favorite cheese. Bake as directed above. Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter or margarine.  Mix 1/4 tsp garlic powder with melted butter. When baking is completed, brush with butter.

Notes: I have used mozzarella cheese and later sprinkled warm biscuits with Parmesan after brushing with garlic butter.

Ready made mix too expensive? My friend had nine children, yep nine. She always made her own baking mixes, seasoned french fries, and most other common ready made foods. Try making you own.

Baking Mix

10 cups of flour
1/3 cup baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp salt
2 cups of shortening (Crisco or generic)

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. With a pastry blender (or wire whisk or fork) cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If you're using a wire whisk or a fork, make sure you mix it well. Mix it until it looks like...well, like Bisquick.

This mix stores in an airtight container for about six weeks in the pantry or up to six months in the freezer. Note that the freezing method doesn’t work to well for times when you’re in a hurry as it must be thawed before using.



 September Foodstuff → BREAD


Comments

Melissa said…
I always think about making a baking mix like this, but I've never tried it. Those biscuits sound yummy, though!
Cookin' Canuck said…
Perfect with a bowl of soup! Thanks for providing the homemade baking mix recipe - so easy!
Jane-Anne said…
I love superquick recipes like these! Thanks for visiting my blog. Juno.
Jhonny walker said…
Good one...herbs and garlic. How can it go wrong ?:)
Justin said…
cheesey garlic biscuits sounds so good to me
Vodka Logic said…
Sound even easy enough for me. Could you use bought baking mix..ie: bisquick?
Redkathy said…
Cookin' Canuck Yes very easy and economical!

Jhonny walker I agree, herbs and garlic are always a winner!

Vodka Logic Yes any baking mix-Jiffy, Bisquick, Generic- will work.
Sherri said…
Oh..I am so excited you posted this!! My family is going to just love them. Thanks!
Sweet! Looks really delicious. I'm gonna try making our own mix. Sounds like a really good idea. ^_^
Karine said…
These biscuits look delicious! Thanks for sharing:)
Jude said…
Thanks for the recipe, I love dill so I'm sure I could manage these quite well. I agree with the commenter that these would be great with soup.
Sara said…
My husband is going to love these,thank you so much!!
Looks very good, I love biscuits!
Anna said…
I used to make these biscuits when I was a kid. Mom would have me make them when we had stew for dinner! I'll have to make them again...yum!
I am a huge fan of garlic cheese biscuits! YumYum!!

Have a great weekend.
Reeni said…
These look delicious! Love the flavors and also that they are drop biscuits. Easy-peasy. Such a good idea to make your own baking mix.
Unknown said…
I gotta tell ya, I'm not that big into biscuits, but these recipes look great. You may have just turned me...

peace,
mike
livelife365
Metz said…
Hi

Dropping by to ask for your prayers and support for the Flood Victims of Typhoon Ondoy that just hit the Philippines, Metro Manila. I was very fortunate that my apartment has been spared from the major flooding but many have died and many more need to be rescued. Drop by over at empty streets to find out how you can also support those that have been hit by this tragedy.

sincerely,

Metz
Empty Streets 1027
Catherine said…
This looks so good! :)
Stephanie said…
I am going to have to try making dairy free and gluten free biscuits now!
Redkathy said…
Stephanie Please let me know how they turn out!
Catherine said…
I love biscuits and I think these sound so good!
I am going to try them real soon! Happy Eating!
figtree said…
I know this will be a HUGE hit in my house before I even make it. THANK YOU FIgtreeapps
Hi Kathy, I can't believe how you were so nice to offer a commenting tip yesterday on my blog with how busy and hectic your days have been lately. That makes you twice as nice in my book. These cheesey babies look wonderful to me since I'm both a bread and cheese freak. Hubbie turns to sweets, I turn to bread & cheese. And since you said they are easy....that works for me too! I have a present for you and all who wrote to me yesterday if you'd like to stop by and pick it up on my blog. Have a restful rest of the weekend. Roz
Unknown said…
Yummy...these sound delicious.

Popular Posts