Papaya and Plantains

Papaya and Plantains

What a wacky combination right? Well, here's how it all began. I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things however, the produce looked so cool and refreshing, I couldn't resist checking it out. It seemed the papayas were beckoning me, "psst we're fresh and juicy, look over here". So I bought my first papaya. Moving on to get what I had originally came for, I had to pass the plantains, oh no. Fried plantains are my all time favorite cooked fruit snack. You guessed it, I bought them as well. Before getting through the produce section I had grapes, plums, tomatoes, cucumbers, and romaine lettuce in my basket too!

Papaya - After the grocery store trip, the unpacking, and preparing dinner, I spent some time reading papaya recipes online. There I found smoothies, salsas, salads, sauces, and even energy drinks. It seems Papaya is a salsa favorite! There's a wonderful Salsa Salad recipe on Foodo' del Mundo, Rachael Ray's Jerky Turkey Burgers with Papaya Salsa and Bobbie Flay's Pan Seared Grouper with tropical salsa.  Most of the smoothies called for banana, which I didn't have, and orange juice. Later that night I used half of the papaya to make smoothies for Red and I. Prepared in a flash, these smoothies did satisfy my sweet tooth and my curiosity.



Papaya Smoothie

Combine all ingredients except ice, in a blender. Pulse a few times. Add the ice cubes and pulse until smooth. Makes 2 servings

1/2 Papaya about 3 cups
1 tbsp honey
juice from 1 orange
1/2 cup milk
4-6 ice cubes


Plantains - My 1st mother in law, Zoriada, was from Puerto Rico. She introduced me to this wonderful fruit 30 years ago. "Platanos" as she called them, are very sweet and delicious when fried. It is important to use ripe plantains for this dish. Ripe plantains have dark, sometimes black skins and feel just a tad soft to the touch.


Fried Plantains

Peel and diagonally slice plantains.
Heat about 1/2-inch of oil in your favorite skillet over medium-low heat.
Add the plantains, a few pieces at a time, and saute until lightly browned. Turn and sauté the second side.
Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate and repeat with the rest of the plantains.


Red likes them with powdered sugar. I like them plain. Zoriada served them, on several occasions, with a seasoned tomato sauce on the side.

Hope you enjoyed my wacky Papaya and Plantains post.... Are you hungry?

Comments

Melissa said…
I'm not a fan of papaya, but my son likes fried plantains!
Gladys Kock said…
What's a creative combination! Few months ago, I found a new way of incorporating papaya into soup instead of eating it raw. You may have a look at Papaya Soup with American Ginseng & Black Chicken Recipe. I like your post and have dropped a EC card, awesome blog!
Kathy, I'm glad that you gave in to your inner urge to buy and try the papaya....I like it too and will make your smoothie for my busy days when I teach and need something fast for lunch! ~ Roz

Popular Posts