Best Recipes-Corn Fritters and Freckle Faced Potatoes

My son is home from college, decided to commute for his last quarter. He's studying digital photography. Thanks to Angel Food Ministries we had rib-eye steak for dinner. A real treat for us these days. So, I rubbed the steaks with BBQ grill seasoning about two hours before cooking them. They were just spicy enough and very tender.


I have never prepared corn fritters even though we all really like them. I did some research on Google. Then I turned to one of my old cookbooks, Best Recipes, from the back of boxes, bottles, cans, and jars, by Ceil Dyer. I'll tell you, I used this book a whole lot when the kids were young. It has lots of fast and easy recipes that are really delicious. I found a recipe for corn and pepper fritters. Between my research and that recipe I came up with this:


You will need:
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 can (12 oz)whole kernel corn with peppers undrained - I used frozen corn, thawed, without the peppers
1 Tbsp. Peanut Oil
1 1/2 cup baking mix
1 Tbsp. cornmeal - I added this ingredient
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste


Beat egg in a large bowl. Stir in milk, corn, and peanut oil. Add and beat in baking mix, cornmeal, salt and pepper. Drop by tablespoonfuls into deep or shallow hot peanut oil. Fry until golden brown, 2 -3 minutes each side. Drain on paper towels.

I used my Master Built electric turkey fryer, which made cooking quick and really easy.

I thought, since my son is home, I can't serve just plain baked potatoes.... I decided that the Freckle-Faced Potatoes recipe, from the same cook book, would be perfect. A bit spicy, with cheese, they were perfect.

You will need:

3 baking potatoes, baked
1/2 cup cheddar cheese - I used colbyjack
4Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp hot sauce
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup crushed croutons or bread crumbs


Quarter hot potatoes lengthwise and place in a bake and serve dish. Sprinkle grated cheese over potatoes. Melt butter in a skillet, add all remaining ingredients, stirring until crushed croutons are moist. Crumble mixture over potatoes and place under broiler until cheese has browned. I served them with a dollop of sour cream. They were really good. Next time, I think I'll add more cheese.




The guys really raved about this simple dinner. I have to admit, it was really easy to make but didn't taste that way at all.


Comments

Stephanie said…
Both of these recipes look like something my DH would love!
Anonymous said…
Great recipe! Everyone should try this.
I Buy Barbeques
This looks delicious! Hope you can share this recipe over at Foodista.com
I’m also stopping by to let you know that we have a new widget which will direct foodista readers to your site, hope you try it out. You can check out our corn fritter widget here! Let me know what you think of it. Thanks!
I love corn fritters but have never tried to make them. I'm going to try this recipe.
Thank you
Martha
Sara said…
I have never had corn fritters, they sound and look so good!
Have a great day
Sara
Unknown said…
Both of these look actually edible. All too often I see delicious looking recipes that, being a vegetarian, I can't enjoy. Thanks...

peace,
mike
livelife365
DineometerDeb said…
Freckle Faced potatoes? Interesting name. Worchester sauce, hm. I think that would add some good flavor.
Redkathy said…
Deb I think the taters needed more cheese, but I'll tell you, the Freckles were great!
UPrinting said…
Cool, your son studies photography? He must be good at taking pictures. Mind if you post some of his shots here and share it with us?
And thanks for sharing the recipe. The freckle-faced potatoes sound yummy. :D

Popular Posts