Spicy Pinto Beans and Ham

Well, I finally got to the end of that ham I prepared the other day. Not wanting to waste a drop, I decided to make ham stock last night to use for my dinner tonight.

Stock Ingredients-
Ham bones
Bay leaf
Black pepper corns

I started by cutting away the outer fat from the ham. It was a shank portion so there was quite a bit of meat there just really marbled with fat.Ham Shank Portion Next, I put the ham in a large pot, and covered it with water. To that I added about 10 black pepper corns, two pinches of celery seed and four bay leaves. When water began to boil I reduced the heat to simmer and cooked until the remaining ham was falling away from the bones. After cooling, I trimmed away more of the fat, removed the bay leaves, transferred to a bowl, and refrigerated for today's use.


You will need:
1 lb Dried pinto beans
1/2 Small onion, diced
1 can Diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning
Red pepper flakes- a few shakes will do
1 tsp Diced garlic


I used the quick soak method for preparing the beans. For each cup of beans add 3 cups of water. One pound of beans = two cups. Slowly bring to boil and boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 1 hour. Discard all liquid and rinse both beans and pot.
Return beans to pot and add 1 cup water and begin heating. Meanwhile, I removed the bowl from the fridge and skimmed off all the solid fat from the stock. I added jellied stock to beans a few spoonfuls at a time allowing it to heat and liquefy, until beans were covered by about an inch. To the broth I added the ham, onion, garlic, and all of the seasonings. I simmered the beans for about 30 minutes and then added the tomatoes without any liquid, and continued to cook for another 30 minutes.

Pinto Beans and HamI served these over yellow rice, with a side of corn bread... Spicy and good!


Comments

Sara said…
That looks so good! Yummy!
You have the Lemondae award waiting for you at my site,
Congrats!
Sara
http://www.thebreathingpost.com/
Anonymous said…
I know that was good! I love beans cooked with ham or ham hocks. Over some rice, that's pure heaven! :)
Redkathy said…
And enough for several meals too... double trips to heaven Diva :)
TonyM said…
What a really attractive recipe - love the idea of the beans and ham,
Anonymous said…
Hey, it is much delicious chicken recipe. The recipe known by us as "Bone less chicken recipe". Thanks for sharing it, it is very useful.

Thanks
Anonymous said…
Oh, great idea! YUMMY!
Anonymous said…
Yes! I am hungry! With your delicious recipes, everyone will feel hungry.
Anonymous said…
This is perfect - I just got to the end of a big ham and was contemplating how to make it dinner. I'm going to go get my beans soaking. :)

Popular Posts