A Snackin' Mood

After preparing AND eating all those big holiday meals I've been in a snackin' kinda mood. No big heavy dinners, just a pick of this or that. Yesterday I made a ham. I just couldn't make a plate and eat. So I went to searching my favorite recipe sites...

My first stop was from the article "Sophisticated Entertaining" I posted on my web site in December. Well, I altered the Artichoke and Bacon spread to become Artichoke and Ham Snacks!

Here's the original recipe:

Artichoke and Bacon Spread
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Time to Table: 55 minutes
Yield: 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons artichoke mixture; 10 servings

5 slices bacon
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
30 Carr's Table Water Roasted Garlic and Herb Crackers


1. Crosswise cut bacon into 1/8- to 1/4-inch slivers. In large nonstick skillet cook bacon until brown and crisp. Drain off fat, reserving 1 tablespoon. Remove bacon from skillet. Drain on paper towels.
2. Return reserved bacon fat to skillet. Stir in onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in carrot. Continue cooking for 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar and rosemary.
3. Set aside four pieces of artichoke. Stir remaining artichoke pieces into mixture in skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper. Cool slightly.
4. Transfer artichoke mixture to food processor bowl. Cover and process until smooth. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stir in half of the cooked bacon.
5. Cut reserved artichoke pieces into thin slivers. Spoon about 2 teaspoons artichoke mixture on each cracker. Garnish with artichoke slivers and remaining cooked bacon pieces.

I omitted the bacon and the crackers. Yes the crackers. Instead I smoothed a thin layer of spread over slices of fresh deli rye bread, added a thin slice of ham, topped with another slice of rye with spread, and cut into fourths.

Oh and I came across this one also, and just had to share it with you too.

A SIMPLE snack recipe from Passionate About Baking...: CRACKERS WITH CREAM CHEESE...& a bit on BLOGGER AID that is a great idea and one of my favorites!

Comments

anudivya said…
Great tip about the Aluminum foil locks... never noticed them before and I have trouble with them when I one-handedly try to pry it open and tear a sheet off... awesome tip. Thanks so much. I am off to check my box for the lock.
Redkathy said…
Andudivya I never noticed the lock either and figured I wasn't alone!

Popular Posts