I Am Woman Hear Me Purrr...Or Chicken Quesadillas

I found this fascinating quote today:

Women are the nurturers, and caretakers of life and love, and we should honor that. What more impressive, or important responsibility, and role is there?Searchingwithin, I Am Woman Hear Me Purrr! |Open Your Heart to the Love, Jan 2009

Ladies, you should really read the whole article, it made me smile.

While reading this article the old saying, "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach" came to mind. Of course the article is all about women and romance but I do agree with the author's point of view and I just love the blog title "Open your heart to love". After reading it in it's entirety I thought about my favorite quote of all time...

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love for those you are cooking for." Sophia Loren

If you read my profile you know that I learned to cook from my mother. She learned from hers, and so on. Not that I am the greatest but I have a creative cooking imagination and much love to share. My husband says the thing he liked best about me when we were first together is that I could make a special meal out of almost nothing.

Today I find myself looking at a pretty sparse pantry and fridge. I have to be creative or we'll starve. ha ha ha

No really, here's a quick and easy Mexican-American dinner, Chicken Quesadillas, that calls for just a few ingredients. Best thing about this dinner is you can use any kind of meat, leftover or not. The two vital ingredients, cheese and tortillas, are a staple in my kitchen.

You will need:

  1. 1 cup leftover chicken shredded
  2. 1 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
  3. 1 can diced tomatoes & green chilies
  4. Flour Tortillas
  5. 1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning
  6. Chili powder to taste


Preheat oven to 250. Combine chicken and tomatoes in a saucepan. Add Adobo seasoning and sprinkle with chili powder. (I add chli powder by smell, believe it or not) Stir to blend completely. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. Turn off burner and let stand for another 15 minutes to allow chicken to absorb some of the liquid. Lay tortillas out on a flat baking sheet. Top each with some shredded colby-jack cheese. Spoon chicken mixture onto one half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, taco style. Bake until cheese is melted. Remove immediately or tortillas will get brittle. Serve with sour cream, salsa, or taco sauce.



My family loves these. You can pop these in the microwave too. If you have other "taco toppings" like black olives, onions, lettuce, or tomato you can add them in or serve on the side.

Comments

Jennifer Field said…
Welcome to Foodie Blogroll!

I must say, quesadillas are a staple meal for us, too. Whole grain tortillas? Check. Cheese? Check. Any leftovers we need to get rid of? Check:D
Redkathy said…
Thanks for the welcome! Quesadillas are the best :)

Popular Posts