Crazy Aunt Joan's Thanksgiving Mayo Salad

Growing up, it was tradition for the family to gather for every holiday. It didn't matter what else was happening, if you had in laws to visit, friends who also invited you to dinner, whatever; The ladies of the family insisted we gather for every holiday. I would get kind of aggravated back then, as I remember. I can tell you now that I really miss it, the ladies were right, family should gather for every holiday no matter what.

Anyway, here's an old Thanksgiving family favorite that I grew up on. This was my crazy Aunt Joan's contribution to Thanksgiving dinner, simply called Mayonnaise Salad.

You will need:

Salad
1 head of lettuce
2 large tomatoes
2 stalks of celery
1 large green or red pepper
1 large cucumber

Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt, and pepper to taste

First wash all the vegetables and let them drain well. Then tear the lettuce into small pieces. Cut all the vegetables uniform and rather small, about 1" by 1" pieces. Toss salad. In a separate bowl combine mayo garlic and wine vinegar. Mix well. Add milk just to thin slightly. You may need more milk to get the right consistency. The dressing should be a bit thick. Next sprinkle sugar, salt and pepper into dressing and mix well. Pour over salad and mix well. Taste the salad and add more spices, milk, or vinegar if necessary. The salad should be kind of sweet, with just a hint of vinegar and no mayo taste. Chill at least one hour before serving.

I know this sounds like an easy, common salad. Why would you go through all that work when you can just buy a bottle of dressing, right? Well, I guess you'll just have to try it and see that it's not the same as using a bottled dressing. Plus, you can claim it as home made and make it one of your own holiday tradition contributions.

Happy Holidays!

Comments

Patricia P. said…
This sounds really similar to my mother-in-law's secret salad dressing. The one I've so far been unable to copy. My husband thought she used pickle juice, but this should be about the same. Thanks.

Popular Posts